Vegetarian Pumpkin Alfredo, yum.
As I was trying to come up with what to create today (you may have noticed as the year’s ending I’ve been slacking on my meal planning), I saw the leftover pumpkin puree in the fridge from that delicious Vegan Pumpkin Walnut Bread.
I’ve been wanting to make some sort of creamy pumpkin pasta sauce for a while now, so I new it was time.
That’s when I remembered the Garlic Alfredo Sauce I had over Spaghetti Squash noodles earlier this year (back on Day 126).
That sauce was fantastic, so I’m hoping it makes the perfect base for a Pumpkin Alfredo sauce. Yum.
While my kids are inexplicable vegetable fanatics, this would also be a great recipe to get some extra veggies in for those kids who aren’t so fond of them. It’s a very cheesy-tasting sauce.
The kids and I went crazy for this pasta.
We all finished our portions quickly and eyed the remaining portion we packed up for the husband longingly.
He doesn’t even really like pumpkin, I thought to myself while attempting to justify slurping the rest of the sauce down.
But no, I figured I still ought to let him try it. Le sigh.
The creamy sauce is highlighted by the pumpkin, but not dominated by it, and the peas go with it surprisingly well.
Ingredients for 4 servings
1 pound spaghetti noodles
1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
4 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot flour or powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
House seasoning (or salt and pepper), to taste
Boil spaghetti noodles according to package directions.
Add peas into the boiling water with 5-7 minutes remaining.
Meanwhile, brown garlic in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
Add butter and cream cheese, allow to melt partially.
Add pumpkin and Italian seasoning, stir.
Mix cornstarch or arrowroot with a bit of the milk to create a slurry.
Add slurry and remaining milk to the pan. Cook a few more minutes, stirring regularly, until thickened.
Add Italian seasoning and House seasoning, to taste.
If serving immediately, mix the sauce with noodles and peas. If serving later, package noodles and peas separately from sauce.
Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Instant Pot Method
Boil spaghetti and noodles according to package directions.
Meanwhile, brown garlic in the instant pot on the medium saute mode.
Add remaining ingredients. Stir.
Cook on saute mode for 10 minutes or until heated through.
The Super Easy Vegetarian Slow Cooker Cookbook
Want more vegetarian and vegan recipes you’ll love? Check out my first cookbook! I’m so excited about it and I hope you’ll love it. You can find more information about it right HERE.
What are you having for Sunday Brunch, Breakfast or Lunch?
This post is shared at Penny Worthy Project, Cookbook Sundays,Creative Bloggers and Savory Sunday.
Vegetarian Pumpkin Alfredo
- 1 pound spaghetti noodles
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- Pumpkin alfredo sauce:
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- House seasoning (or salt and pepper), to taste
- Boil spaghetti noodles according to package directions.
- Add peas into the boiling water with 5-7 minutes remaining.
- Meanwhile, brown garlic in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add butter and cream cheese, allow to melt partially.
- Add pumpkin and stir.
- Mix cornstarch with a bit of the milk to create a slurry.
- Add slurry and remaining milk to pan. Cook a few more minutes, stirring regularly, until thickened.
- Add Italian seasoning and House seasoning, to taste.
- If serving immediately, mix sauce with noodles and peas. If serving later, package noodles and peas separately from sauce.