Today I’m making vegetarian ham and cheese pinwheels. I received a bunch of carrots in my CSA box this week (the kind with the leafy tops, yum!) and when searching for recipes using carrots, I found one for pinwheels. But, I knew my existing ham loaf recipe wouldn’t cut it for a thin pinwheel sandwich or sushi-sized rounds. I just couldn’t get that thin enough. But I did use that recipe as my jumping-off point for my Hammy Cold Cuts. The result was a huge hit with the kids and visiting relatives. Super yummy.
Vegetarian Ham and Cheese Pinwheels
Adapted from Ham and Cheese Pinwheels.
4 “slices” (about 2 x 4-inch pieces) vegan hammy cold cuts
1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
4 (8-inch) tortillas
1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup cheese, shredded
Vegan Pepperoni slices (optional)
Dipping Sauce Options: Deli mustard, honey mustard, barbecue sauce, hummus
Layer each tortilla with carrots, cheese, and hammy cold cuts.
Roll up tightly and slice into 3/4-inch rounds.
Serve with your choice of dipping sauces.
These were a huge hit. I used to love this sandwich place where I grew up called Hovan, which made similar roll-up sandwiches with flatbread, cream cheese, and veggies. The kids both gobbled up their “hammy” rolls and so did visiting relatives.
We had ours with Deli Mustard (the kind with horseradish mixed in…yum). My mom said these would be super for a party or picnic. I agree. I put the vegan pepperoni on half the sandwiches. They were good too, but I liked the non-pepperoni version better; you could taste the “ham” more without the pepperoni.
What’s your favorite picnic sandwich?
- 4 "slices" (about 2 x 4-inch pieces) vegan hammy cold cuts
- 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese
- 4 (8-inch) tortillas
- 1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded
- Vegan Pepperoni slices (optional)
- Dipping Sauce Options: Deli mustard, honey mustard, barbecue sauce, hummus
- Spread the cream cheese evenly over each of the tortillas, covering the entire surface.
- Layer each tortilla with carrots, cheese, and hammy cold cuts.
- Roll up tightly and slice into 3/4-inch rounds.
- Serve with your choice of dipping sauces.