Vegetarian Chicken Tetrazzini is on the menu today for a silly reason. We’re fans of the E! show The Soup (it was formerly known as Talk Soup).
If you’re also a fan, you may recall a clip from the Maury Pauvich Show or some such show. Some woman who supposedly thinks her husband is cheating blames the other woman’s chicken tetrazzini for the affair.
Since then, my husband has shown an interest in chicken tetrazzini. So, when I saw a version on Prairie Story’s blog, I knew I had to convert it.
Happy Lent Friday to all those popping over to find meatless recipes! I’m giving up gluten for Lent Fridays this year. We’ll see how that goes. It feels like cheating for me to give up meat.
This pasta delight is a creamy, delicious treat of chickpeas (or mock chicken), homemade cream of mushroom soup, noodles and cheese. What’s not to love?! So good. Do yourself a favor and try out this vegetarian chicken tetrazzini.
Vegetarian Chicken Tetrazzini
Adapted from Chicken Tetrazzini.
4 “chicken” breasts, cubed or 4 cups cooked chickpeas
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I used half a large red onion)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt & pepper
1 pound fettuccine or spaghetti cooked
2 “cans” cream of mushroom soup
1 can mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
4-8 roasted garlic cloves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Caramelize onions and in olive oil in fry pan, season generously with salt & pepper.
In a large mixing bowl (or in your baking dish if you don’t want to waste a bowl) combine cooked fettuccine (or linguine, or spaghetti) with chicken mixture and the rest of the ingredients.
Place in greased 9 x 13 baking dish and cover with aluminum foil (I don’t like to use foil, so I topped it with a cookie sheet and my garlic bread to serve with the meal).
Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes.
Ooh. This is good. It reminds me a lot of Angel Chicken, also sometimes called Cream Cheese Chicken. The roasted garlic makes the flavor super tasty. Husband and toddler both loved it as well.
What is your favorite pasta sauce?
This post shared at Fat Camp Friday, Crafty Friday, Friday Favorites, Potluck Friday, Friday Favorites,·Frugal Fridays,·Friday Favorites and I’m Lovin’ It.
Vegetarian Chicken Tetrazzini Recipe
Vegetarian Chicken Tetrazzini
- 4 "chicken" breasts, cubed (about 4 C of vegan chicken substitute, e.g. 1 bag of Quorn chicken tenders)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (I used half a large red onion)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 pound fettuccine or spaghetti cooked
- 2 "cans" mushroom soup substitute (you can find the recipe in this post)
- 1 can mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 4-8 roasted garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Caramelize onions and in olive oil in fry pan, season generously with salt & pepper.
- Add "chicken."
- In a large mixing bowl (or in your baking dish if you don't want to waste a bowl) combine cooked fettuccine (or linguine, or spaghetti) with chicken mixture and the rest of the ingredients.
- Place in greased 9 x 13 baking dish and cover with aluminum foil (I don't like to use foil, so I topped it with a cookie sheet and my garlic bread to serve with the meal).
- Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes.