- 3/4 cup sucanat or light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 4 medium grated carrots (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup raisins
- grated zest of 1 large orange
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2-4 Tablespoons orange juice
I have a really cool bread machine, and I’ve been experimenting with cakes in it lately. Not because it’s any faster, but with two toddlers, it’s a little more convenient. I can toss the ingredients in and walk away. Come back two hours later and there’s cake. So, I decided to try this Yummy Scrummy Carrot Cake recipe (go to the site to find the “normal” baking directions if you don’t have a bread machine). It looks delicious and a little different than my usual carrot cake. I love that it has orange rind in the cake and orange juice in the glaze. I’ve never seen that in carrot cake, but it’s so yummy!
I think I’ll mix in citrus rind in a few more veggie-based cakes (zucchini muffins or brownies especially) and see if that’s super tasty too. This cake is so moist and delicious and I really like the orange glaze, even though I would usually frost with cream cheese icing. I think the citrus glaze makes it a more refreshing, breakfasty cake. Fantastic. I’d definitely make this again.