Today’s This Week’s Cravings theme is FREEZER MEALS, which you all probably know is a theme near and dear to my heart. I’m sharing the vegan adaptation of one of our all-time favorite recipes from the 2011 challenge year: Zucchini Burgers. We absolutely LOVED the original recipe and I wanted to be able to share the deliciousness with vegan friends and readers. I also wanted to add in one of my new favorite burger mix-ins: Quinoa (see Beefy Quinoa Burgers). I love having an easy to mix in complete protein. Beautiful.
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup onion (I used the white part of one Vidalia green onion), chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (like this) (about 1/4 cup dry)
- 1 cup whole wheat bread cubes/almond flour for paleo
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon House seasoning (or salt and pepper)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- whole wheat bread crumbs/almond flour dusting
- Homemade salsa and cilantro, if desired
BEFORE grilling, flash freeze, divide among freezer bags and freeze. To serve: Thaw. Grill in olive oil, 3 minutes per side. Top with salsa and cilantro.
Oh my goodness. My husband and I LOVED this version of the burgers. And the kid who wasn’t being a picky eater that day ate hers with gusto. Bug ate a few bites and proceeded to eat her salsa as the rest of her meal. Some days are like that. We made a double batch and the second set froze beautifully.