Originally posted over at OnceAMonthMom, as part of the Get Real series, this is my list of go-to vegan beef and pork substitutes.
These are all also vegan and whole food friendly and can make a great choice for meat-eaters trying to reduce their meat consumption a bit, too:
- Ground Beef: this is probably the most popular meat substitute for non-vegetarians. In a rich sauce, like a bolognese or in chili, it is disguised really well and often even fools meat-eaters into thinking it’s “real” meat.
- Steak Bites: great for Chinese stir-fry dishes.
- Bacon Strips: good for a mock BLT or anything calling for strips or chunks of ham or bacon.
- Bacon Bits: excellent on salads and as a topping for soups and casseroles.
- Pepperoni: so incredible on pizza and on sandwiches!
A few other good, no muss no fuss substitutes include:
- substituting grilled portabello mushrooms for steak strips,
- substituting brown lentils for ground beef;
- substituting avocado slices in recipes that call for ham; and
- using quinoa egg noodles (vegans can use quinoa non-egg noodles) or quinoa instead of regular noodles or rice under a recipe where you leave out the meat altogether (quinoa is a complete protein, so allows you to leave out the protein in the entree).