You know I miss my bread. But just before I had to put the kibosh on the grains, I had these beautiful banana oat bread treats at a party at our house. They were amazing. I miss them. I even baked them in three ways: muffins, mini muffins and mini loaves. So much fun! I make these with gluten-light einkorn flour, but you can also use gluten-free flour like Pamela’s Artisan if you want them gluten-free instead of gluten light. My next experiment will need to be with only rice flour and arrowroot. Wish me luck.
The original recipe is for muffins, which I heartily enjoy. It’s a recipe I learned from my Aunt Liz in New Orleans when I was about 10. Love them. The mini muffins and loaves, plus the addition of the essential oils as spices, yum!
Banana Oat Bread
Makes 18 muffins, 30 mini muffins or 12 mini loaves
yogurt1 1/2 cups einkorn flour (I buy mine through HERE)
1 cup oats
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten (or egg substitute)
1/2 cup banana, mashed (2 bananas)
3/4 cup yogurt whey or milk
1/3 cup applesauce
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
10 drops cinnamon essential oil (I buy mineHERE)
4 drops nutmeg essential oil
3 drops ginger essential oil
2 drops clove essential oil
Bake MINI LOAVES at 400 for 30 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups einkorn flour (I buy mine through HERE)
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (or egg substitute)
- 1/2 cup banana, mashed (2 bananas)
- 3/4 cup yogurt whey or milk
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 10 drops cinnamon essential oil (I buy mineHERE)
- 4 drops nutmeg essential oil
- 3 drops ginger essential oil
- 2 drops clove essential oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Stir dry ingredients. Set aside. Mix egg, banana, milk (whey) and applesauce.
- Add liquid to dry. Mix in essential oils. Fill lined or greased muffin, mini muffin or mini loaf cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake MUFFINS at 400 for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Bake MINI MUFFINS at 400 for 12 minutes
- Bake MINI LOAVES at 400 for 30 minutes